2012 was quite an interesting year! It was filled with so many blessings and we learned a LOT!
I set goals all the time….and one thing I learned this year (from a friend who says this all the time!) is that “Non-specific goals get non-specific results.” Really, how true is that?!?! I had never thought about it before, but he is so right. Looking back I can see that some of my goals from 2012 were very non-specific and did not necessarily have measurable outcomes, so it’s hard to measure my progress in achieving those goals.
Here were my goals for 2012 and a little reflection:
1. Be more like Christ. Always a work in progress with this one! I do feel like I was more like Christ in my giving this past year- I felt very generous this year and loved being able to be so giving and having such a joyful heart in doing so! I do want to start praying more for a heart like His for others though- so I reflect a Christlike nature with my attitude, through serving, & through loving others. Towards the end of the year, I also started getting lazy with my quiet time and getting in the Word DAILY.
2. Be the best wife I can be for Jonathan in 2012. I am CRAZY in love with my hubby! I am so incredibly thankful for him. I try not to compare, but being around other men makes me realize how BLESSED I am to be able to share this life with Jonathan. He has so many GREAT qualities, and although I am always raving about him to others, I need to be sure to let him know how much I appreciate him more often. As far as my “wifely duties,” Jonathan has had to help me a lot more around the house this year than I would have liked. I feel like that is part of my calling as his wife, it’s DEFINITELY my desire, and I truly ENJOY taking care of him and our home. Not gonna lie though, it was tough to do as good of a job as I would have liked with a full-time job. I am reallllllly looking forward to not working next year, and I feel like I will be more equipped to be the wife, mommy, and the manager of our home that I want to and am called to be.
3. Become as healthy as I can possibly be. Check! Thank the Lord for Advocare! I have been eating clean & working out hard for years, but Advocare totally took both mine & Jon’s health to the next level. I found the paperwork from our physicals this summer, & our numbers are the bomb! Blood pressure, triglycerides, cholesterol, sugar, weight, etc.- all great! Plus, we both got into the best shape we’ve ever been in & proved to ourselves we can eat 100% clean!
4. Save, save, save, save, and save some more. Check! I had NO IDEA at the beginning of this year that we would ever be in the financial position we are now. Once again, thank the Lord for Advocare! (I mean it when I say that….Jonathan & I both thank the Lord daily during our prayers for this company.) It is exactly the income opportunity we had been looking for & we feel so incredibly blessed the Lord put it in our paths! We were introduced in March, and because of the awesome financial opportunity attached to the company, we have been able to accomplish a lot of our financial goals this year. We were able to give a lot, pay extra on our mortgage every month, have a cash Christmas, put money in our IRA, and save a good bit. It also meant we could both stop doing all of our side jobs (and spend more time together!), Jonathan could open his own business doing something he LOVES, and I can retire after this year to stay home with Baby Butler. Now we are paying it forward by helping other families on our team do the same thing.
5. Run another marathon and compete in a fitness competition. Check & check! Marathon in Jan of 2012, competition in June. Cross ‘em off the bucket list! I doubt I will ever do either again, but I will probably get back into some half marathons eventually. Running is therapeutic and something I enjoy. It’s good for the “mind and soul,” but I am definitely in better shape when I am lifting weights & doing lots of HIIT.
6. Work on a special project. Yea….about that. I decided not to go forward with it- right now anyway. I want to write a book at some point in my life, but I don’t think I’m ready to quite yet. But that was my “special project”….to write a book. I know I’m not some extraordinary writer, but I do enjoy writing & I have a lot to say. Like running, I think writing is therapeutic- such a great outlet. (And hello, they are both FREE!)
And now some of the highlights of 2012 (in no particular order):
*Making new friends. I seriously have some of the BEST friends! Really. And this year I got to meet some fabulous NEW people & be reconnected with others I haven’t talked to in a while.
*Achieving #5 from my 2012 goals list.
*Watching my mom take control of her health. My mom is one of my favorite people EVER. And I want her around for a long, long time. I have always “pushed” her to get healthier, and this last year she finally got on board! She lost a crap ton of weight and started eating SO healthy, no doubt adding years to her life!! I couldn’t be more proud of her!! Now my kiddos will get to experience THE BEST Grammy on the planet for years to come!
*Meeting my biological family. Here is the post about our visit. I loved Nashville- very cool city! It was the NEATEST experience getting to meet my biological family for the first time! I loved getting to know them all better, seeing people who look like me for the first time, and learning about all the things we have in common. My favorite part was the instant connection I felt. I definitely wasn’t expecting that, but it was special for sure.
*Finding out we we are expecting! What a blessing!! We are so beyond excited to be parents and add to our family. “I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him.” –1 Samuel 1:27 ; “Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him.” –Psalm 127:3